Going for abortion due to immediate pregnancy after cesarean delivery. Will the abortion procedure affect the stitches?

Question
my pregnancy test came positive upt and hcg,its only 5 months since my c section has done, i want to abort is it safe sine its only 5 months of operation will this effect my stitches at any case in the abortion process .went i went for re check up the doctor told the stitches are completely healed even now i get light pain near the stitches. how should i deal with the abortion process,will my stiches will open in the process?
my u/s says empty uterus,in net i heard a lady asking that she is 8 weeks but still the doctors see nothing in the scan is that possible.here in my case we had intercourse on 10 and 11 i had ipill,so doctors say its too early so come back for rescan ,at how many weeks usually they can see the egg in the scan
Posted Thu, 21 Jun 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

I can appreciate your concern and your idea of abortion is also justified as you are having just 5 month old child.

You have missed period and urine pregnancy test is positive, in most of cases you are pregnant.

Ultrasound can pick up gestational by about 6 weeks and definite cardiac activity by about 7-8 weeks, which is a sure sign of pregnancy.

This can be picked at least one week earlier by Trans-vaginal ultrasound.

Your doctor is right that it is early at present to do a scan. Please wait for at least 6 weeks from your last menstrual period.

As far abortion is concerned, once your doctor is satisfied with the condition of scar there in no need to worry.

Please keep regular follow up with your doctor and do as per his advice. Please do not try any medicines for abortion on your own which might be risky.

I hope this helps.

Please write again if you have something more to ask.

In case you do not have further query, please accept the answer.

Dr.Pragnesh

Follow-up: Going for abortion due to immediate pregnancy after cesarean delivery. Will the abortion procedure affect the stitches? 7 hours later
how would the doctors know that the inside stitches of the uterus are completely healed,i still get very very little pain near the stitches does it mean they are not healed.

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

Normally any surgical wound heals completely in about 6 weeks.

The health of scar can be judged by clinical examination and in case of some doubt by ultrasound of scar.

5 months is pretty long time and scar should have been healed by now. Minor discomfort is most related to external layers of skin.

Please do not worry; even during procedure the doctor can also judge the strength of scar.

As advised please keep regular follow up.

Dr.Pragnesh

Follow-up: Going for abortion due to immediate pregnancy after cesarean delivery. Will the abortion procedure affect the stitches? 22 hours later
when i went to recheckup after one and half month from my c section has performed the doctor told me that the stitches are completely healed .the healing of the inner stitches can be known from outside stitches?

one of my friend told me that if the inner stitches heal only the outer stitches will appear good if there is any problem u will have lot of discomfort and this will happen within 2 months of u r operation and it will not take such a long time of 5 months . and already a tvs is performed and doctor did not complain any problem regarding the uterus size, shape,so i feel u can go for abortion without any fear.

Good to hear from you again.

I can appreciate your anxiety and concern.

As written earlier your doctor himself will make sure that everything is right and then only he will proceed with the abortion.

Ultrasound of wound it self can provide good information about the health of the scar.

Again 5 months is the time by when all the stitches inside or outside gets healed and I do not see any reason for worry.

Dr.Pragnesh