Given injection in lower legs and electric treatments in back. What is the best treatment for severe neuropathy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
What is the best treatment for SEVERE NEUROPATHY,, IT HAS BEEN 13 months since
This problem . It seems to be getting worst every month.,WHEN DOES IT LEVEL OFF. I HAVE TRIED S. FLORIDA NEUROPATHY CENTER. INJECTION IN THE LOWER LEGS AND THE IN THE BACK PLUS ELECTRIC TREATMENTS (3) x week with DR. RIZALINA P. OLEGARIO,
MSN,ARNP AND KATHLY M.JEAN-GILLES DNP,ARNP-BC,RRT FAMILY NURSE NURSE PRACTITIONER PRACTITIONER
Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

The treatment of neuropathy depends on the underlying cause and the predominant symptoms.

If the main symptoms are burning, pain and tingling in feet and hands, then medications such as gabapentin (neurontin), pregabalin (lyrica) and duloxetine (cymbalta) are very effective.

If the main symptoms are motor (weakness of feet and hands), then, regular physiotherapy and exercises would also be useful.

In addition, the underlying cause of neuropathy should be identified and treated.

I hope it helps.
Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My email: YYYY@YYYY
My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/