Given Losartan and atenolol for high blood pressure. Lost weight. Give the remedy to wean off losartan?

I am on Losartan/HCTZ 50/12.5 and atenolol 50 mg for HBP. I've lost some weight and now my blood pressure is typically around 105/65. How should I wean off of the losartan?
Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rene Gerard Cruz Galera Jr 1 hour later

Thank you for your question.

I am glad that you have lost some weight and that you have normalized your blood pressure. Losing weight will also help control and maintain your blood pressure so I wish you congratulations and I hope you maintain the good job!

Before I answer your question, could you, please, provide me the following information:
1) what was your BP range before you got it back to normal?
2) how long have you been on the Losartan/HCTZ and atenolol combination?
3) how much weight did you lose and what is your current weight?
4) do you have any other diseases like diabetes, other than your past medical history of GAD?

Thank you and I am very eager to hear from you soon!

Dr. Galera
Follow-up: Given Losartan and atenolol for high blood pressure. Lost weight. Give the remedy to wean off losartan? 6 days later
My blood pressure range prior to the meds was 150/90.
I have been on the losartan/HCTZ combo for about a year.
I lost about 20 pounds and my current weight is 205.
I have no other diseases.
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Rene Gerard Cruz Galera Jr 24 minutes later

Thank you for getting back to me.

I am glad that, with your compliance to medications and weight loss, you have managed to control your blood pressure.

You mentioned that your blood pressure prior to the medications was 150/90. Was this your highest blood pressure ever recorded?

Were there any instances when your BP shot up and you had to take sublingual tablets?

If you experience BP spikes from time to time, I would suggest that you maintain the losartan/HCTZ combination.

Eagerly awaiting your reply,

Dr. Galera