Getting vertigo attacks often. Had Epley manoeuvre. What else can be done?

ENT Specialist
I get vertigo attacks a few times a day--often lasting for hours. I have seen a few specialists and had the Epley manoeuvre but to no avail. What else can I do ? Many thanks
Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 1 hour later
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX
You are 82 yrs old. Are you sure the stents were insert in the legs. Generally we hear it for heart disease after angioplasty. In such a case you need an evaluation of carotid arteries as well.

Are you taking water pills? If yes it could be one of the reason as they deplete some useful electrolytes and cause low blood pressure as well.
Vertigo is rotatory feeling and not imbalance or syncope. I think you are able to differentiate that. The description of the problem is short and it requires a detailed history when a person suffers from vertigo.

Vertigo can be because of mainly ear problem --
Ear disease like discharge
You were mentioning about Epley's, it means the doctor had treated earlier like Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. There are other important reasons at this age important of them is decreased vascular supply and dehydration. Try to address them well.
Since you have met concerned specialists I could relate this as decreased supply due to blocks in the artery supplying the brain. It is unable to procure the blood required especially when you stand up. Do not get up from bed all of a sudden (you might be having postural hypotension).

Let me know if I missed anything important.