Getting twitching sensation all over body. Stiffness on hands and feet. MRI, EMG normal. Any cure?

Nov 2013

Hi I have been having weird symptems for 11 months now. Started with face feeling stiff,then tingling hands and feet, then twitching all over my body some hot spots also severe eye floaters just apard out of the blue. Sometimes my ankle feels stiff or a burn sensation. Not sure if related but my right shoulder had been causing me pain for 3 years. MRI negative, emg ok.
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms are not suggestive of any serious neurological illness. This is more so as your MRI and EMG are normal.

Based on your symptoms, you seem to have a mild small fiber neuropathy and benign fasciculations.

In small fiber neuropathy, there would be tingling or burning of hands or feet. Common causes include diabtes, thyroid hormone deficiency and vitamin B12 deficiency. So, if not checked, please get the levels of blood sugar, thyroid hormones & TSH and vitamin B12 level checked up.

In benign fasciculations, there would be twitchings in different parts of body. It is not of any serious clinical consequence.

If your symptoms are troublesome, you may take neurontin.

Right shoulder pain and eye floaters are most probably unrelated.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad