Getting tiny red spots under skin on thigh. Is this related to insomnia?

Allergist and Immunologist
Hello, I am a 20 year old female. I keep on getting these tiny red spots under my skin, mostly on my thighs. The first lot took 4 days to go away, but they have returned again.

I've also been dealing with frequent infections for the past 3 months, long lasting viruses and sinusitis that lasted 3 weeks with 2 courses of antibiotics. I usually never get sick. I am getting chills with a low grade fever that comes and goes because I think the sinusitis has recurred.

I suffer from insomnia and have been losing a lot of sleep over the last few months, could this be impacting my immune system in some way?

Thank you for answering.
Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 2 days later
Thank you for sending us your query.
If the tiny red spots were itchy, raised and disappear without a XXXXXXX on the skin then it is likely to be urticaria. This condition recurs with an underlying infection and the chronic rhinosinusitis that you have does not help.
The insomnia may be related to the chronic sinus symptoms or the persistent post XXXXXXX drip in which allergy testing will be very helpful to ensure you have excluded aeroallergen sensitivity in the form of house dust mite allergy.
Long acting (occasionally sedative antihistamines for night) antihistamines plus nasal corticosteroids will prove very helpful once the allergies are diagnosed, as well as for the urticaria (with antihistamines).
Allergy testing can be done by skin prick or specific IgE blood tests.
if the condition is indeed allergic, it means that your immune system is overreacting. It would also be good to get a complete blood count done to make sure we are not missing anything here.
Let me know if you have any further queries.