Getting sharp pain in the top of head, swollen neck and lump in throat. Cause?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
hi i keep getting a sharp pain in the top of my head ive also got a swollen neck and a lump in my throut what could all this be
Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
need more details...

Detailed Answer:
hello XXXXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX

I am Dr Sriram Nathan and I am a practicing ENT consultant and Head and Neck Surgeon and I Shall try to help you out with your problems.

First of all let us try to get a follow up on your complaint of headache. I need you to elaborate on different aspects of the headache which will help me help you. Meanwhile generally an intermittent headache can just be a tension headache or a migraine. In both the cases there is no periodicity of headache. A sinus headache can also occur like this and we need to exclude that also.
I need the following details:
1. When and where does the headache come and what is the duration?
2. Does it come when you take head bath and do you have additional symptoms like nose block and sneezing?
3. How is your vision? Do you read a lot and use the computer a lot?
Meanwhile i would want you to take steam inhalation whenever possible and also reduce the frequency of head bath. Do not sleep in the direct blast of the AC or the fan.

About the swollen neck, if the swelling is recent and/or painful then in all probability there is nothing to worry about. You may take a course of antibiotic like Amox-clav combination in dose of 625 mg twice daily for five days. Your doctor will know about this.
If the swelling persists then you may need to undergo a CT/ultrasonography of the neck and evaluate the swelling further.

About the lump in the throat in the background of swelling it would probably be a reflux reaction. You may start an anti reflux medication like Pantoprazole with domperidone before food for two weeks along with a multivitamin like zincovit. Your treating doctor will definitely know about these.
If however your lump persists then you may need to undergo upper GI endoscopy and evaluate the same further.

Hope I Have addressed all your problems and hope you feel better. Get back to me with the additional details and also with any other additional reports and I will be happy to answer any more questions from your side.

Dr Sriram Nathan