Getting severe stomach pain, cramping and flatulence after evening meal. What does that mean?

Jun 2015

each night after my evening meal I am getting severe stomach pain, cramping and flatulence. Usually ok in the morning and doesnt happen after breakfast or lunch. Has been most nights for about two weeks
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 2 hours later
Hello Damyon,

The presence of symptoms like stomach pain, cramping and flatulence can be attributed to build up of intestinal gas due to:
1. Consumption of gas forming food products which is broken down by intestinal bacteria.
2. Lactose intolerance.
3. Swallowing of air while eating food.

The symptoms are more appreciable during night due to relaxation of the muscles which support the abdominal wall.

Though medications like antacids and anti spasmodics can be taken to provide symptomatic relief, certain preventive measure need to be followed such as:
1. Follow a regular routine of diet, exercise & adequate rest.
2. Chew food thoroughly and slowly.
3. Avoid carbonated drinks & alcohol.
4. Avoid gas producing foods like cabbage, beans, turnip, excess raw fruits & vegetables, etc.
5. Do not overload the stomach at one meal. It is always advisable to take small meals.
6. Avoid tight fitting garments, belts, etc.
7. Do not lie down immediately after the evening meals. It is better to take a leisurely walk after meals.

However, if symptoms still persist, it will be better to consult a Gastroenterologist for further management.
Investigation like Ultrasound scan of Abdomen might be required to clinch the diagnosis.

Wishing a Good Health.
Let me know if I need to clarify further.
Thanks & take care.