Getting pressure in head, feeling light headed, sweaty, dizzy and vertigo. Medical test normal. What's wrong?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
So for the past month Ive been getting these weird dizzy spells. It will start very quickly and out of nowhere. It starts with pressure in my head, then ill get dizzy and feel vertigo as well. It started when I was at work and out of nowhere got very lightheaded, i was sweaty, and felt like I was going to pass out. It did pass. Right now im having pressure in my head, espically in the back and it feels like its hot spots inside my head, along with feeling vertigo.

Ive had an MRI this year, Cardioworkup last year, ct scan of chest, bloodwork, xrays, ect... all has been normal. Im freaking out!
Posted Mon, 26 Nov 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Dizziness can be caused by problems in the brain or the inner ear, though the cause may lie outside.
1. In a patient of low blood pressure not on treatment postural hypotension is one of the commonest cause. To counter this and otherwise also you break an action into small components.
2.Thyroid disease : Abnormalities of the thyroid may also cause dizziness as one of its symptoms.
Hyperthyroidism (too much thyroid hormone) may cause palpitations, shortness of breath, lightheadedness, and dizziness.
Hypothyroidism (too little thyroid hormone) may cause low blood pressure and a decreased heart rate leading to dizziness, weakness, lethargy, and chills.
3.Migraine, a form of headache, may also cause dizziness and vertigo. The vertigo is usually followed by a headache. There is often a prior history of similar episodes but no lasting problems.
4. Cervical Spondylosis: When osteophytes arising from cervical press on verterbral artery, a condition called Verterbro Basillar Insufficiency is produced which can manifest as dizziness. A cervical spine x-ray or cervical spine scan is good enough to diagnose. A cervical support collar may be required as part of treatment.

Apart from following are the cause of Vertigo which may at some stage behave like an episode of dizziness therefore kept in mind

a). Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is the most common form of vertigo and is characterized by the sensation of motion initiated by sudden head movements or moving the head in a certain direction.

b).Vertigo may also be caused by inflammation within the inner ear (labyrinthitis or vestibular neuritis), which is characterized by the sudden onset of vertigo and may be associated with hearing loss.

c).Meniere's disease is composed of a triad of symptoms including: episodes of vertigo, ringing in the ears (tinnitis), and hearing loss. People can be asymptomatic in between episodes.

d). Head trauma (even unknown to the victim) and neck injury may also result in vertigo, which usually goes away on its own. It may start with or end with dizzy spells.

I would urge you to see your doctor so that cause can be established thereafter treatment begins.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Getting pressure in head, feeling light headed, sweaty, dizzy and vertigo. Medical test normal. What's wrong? 21 minutes later
Thanks for your response. Like I said I've had a MRI of brain and ct scan of head and neck. I've seen an ent who said nothing was wrong. Had my thyroi checked. Blood pressure is normal. Had ultrasound of my heart. I'm at a loss here
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 23 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
It is good that all your investigations are normal.
So it is likely to be due to fall in BP, hypoglycemia, dehydration and inadequate electrolytes(sodium and calcium) in the body, postural hypotension, etc.
I advise you for
Try taking out some time to do yoga
Plenty of water and fruit juices.
Take calcium,iron and B complex vitamins for few weeks.
In case the symptoms are persistent, you may get your serum electrolytes evaluated.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Getting pressure in head, feeling light headed, sweaty, dizzy and vertigo. Medical test normal. What's wrong? 43 minutes later
I do have one more question

My leg has been bothering me for days now. It hurts mainly down the left side of my lower left leg. But it will move to my calf and my XXXXXXX and even my inner knee area. It will burn, be sharp pain be dull pain, feel achy and crampy all at different times. I've had anxiety about blood clots in the past but have had well over 5 negative ultrasounds and have never had one. So I'm trying not to jump to conclusions. Any ideas? Doctors have alway brushed it off (been happening three years now every couple of months) should in worry about a DVt? What could this be?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The symptoms you have can be due to dehydration, muscle fatigue or electrolyte abnormalities. It is better to drink sufficient fluid and also see that your intake of electrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium ) is sufficient. You can drink Oralyte for this.
If the symptoms persist then other causes like myalgia, muscle sprain, peripheral arterial disease and neuropathy needs to be ruled out after a proper examination.
Please let me know the progress.