Getting pins and needles in hand and have twitching thumb. What could be the cause?

Hello. My left hand has had pins and needles in it all day (i am in thailand and it's now 8.30 pm). My thumb was twitching earlier too. What could cause this? I'm a 30 year old female who smokes and drinks.
Posted Wed, 5 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 10 minutes later

Thanks for question.

Can you please provide more details about your symptoms?
Do you suffer from any medical condition or take any medications?
Is there numbness, tingling, burning sensation associated?
How is power in this hand?

Awaiting reply...

Follow-up: Getting pins and needles in hand and have twitching thumb. What could be the cause? 11 hours later
Sometimes my hand on very rare occasions has felt slightly numb, and once or twice my left leg too, but yesterday was the first time i had pins and needles all day in my hand. The power in this hand was fine. No burning sensation. Today the pins and needles have gone but the top of my thumb feels very slightly numb. I am not on XXXXXXX medications.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later

Thanks for inputs.

Your symptoms are simulating peripheral neuropathy. Peripheral neuropathy often causes numbness and pain in your hands and feet. People typically describe the pain of peripheral neuropathy as needle and pin, tingling or burning, and loss of sensation. Peripheral neuropathy is caused by nerve damage. It can result from such problems as traumatic injuries, infections, metabolic problems, endocrine disorders, medications and exposure to toxins.

Multiple limbs can be involved (like you had symptoms in left leg). Generally initial symptoms are minor and experienced intermittently. In many cases, peripheral neuropathy symptoms improve with time - especially if it's caused by an underlying condition that can be treated.

I think you should consider seeing a doctor who on clinical examination can confirm the diagnosis. The doctor may want you to do tests like blood sugar levels, thyroid function tests, liver/kidney function tests. A stroke seems less likely.

If possible, you can see a primary physician in Thailand and get symptomatic treatment. But do see a neurologist when back home. (From your initial input I am assuming that you are in Thailand for short duration. If that's not the case then see a neurologist in Thailand itself)

I hope I have been helpful to you, Please ask if there are any doubts.

Thank you.