Getting pain on arm and feeling dizzy. Safe remedy?

Allergist and Immunologist
My daughter is having pain in her right arm and is telling my she is dizzy.
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 1 hour later

Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thank you for writing to us.

It is difficult to put the right arm pain and feeling dizzy into one diagnosis, but if the pain is severe and one is breathing very fast dizziness can set in due to the change in acid-base balance in the blood simply due to fast breathing.

Right arm pain is rarely related to organic heart disease, particularly more unlikely in a girl aged 7 and the ECG being normal. If you remain concerned about heart disease causing arm pain and dizziness then discuss with your XXXXXXX Medicine doctor for an echocardiogram (2D-ECHO). That if normal excludes serious organic heart disease.

An XRay of the arm would exclude bone related problems (i.e., green stick fractures etc), and rarely an MRI is required to exclude problems in the muscles/tissues. A blood test can be done (creatine kinase levels) that if normal, excludes myositis or inflammation in the muscles.

Headaches, arm pains and dizziness are sometimes due to migraine headaches causing loss of blood circulation due to spasm of vessels, almost always a temporary phenomenon.
I do not think there is much cause of concern if the above are not relevant in your child, and ask her to try and breathe normally when the pain sets in. As required pain killer medications is recommended.

I hope that was useful.
Best Wishes.