Getting pain in top of stomach, excessive saliva fills in mouth. Possible reasons?

for the past 5 days I have been getting pain in the top of my stomach and my mouth keeps filling up with saliva. it lasts for for about an hour, then my mouth stops filling with saliva but still have the abdomen pain till about 1:00pm in the afternoon. I'm 21, and it happens every day so far in the early morning
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for query.

I understand your concern and for me to to be able to help you, I request you to answer a few questions.

Are you sleeping very late these days?
Are you consuming very heavy meals or XXXXXXX food these days?
Are you having late night heavy dinners?
Are you consuming more alcohol or cigarettes these days?
Are you using more pain killers recently?
Are you suffering from increased stress recently?

Please get back to me with these answers so that I can help you.

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Getting pain in top of stomach, excessive saliva fills in mouth. Possible reasons? 3 hours later
Thanks for getting back to me. I go to sleep at about 10pm most nights, not under any stress, my meals narent heavy and not sure if i am eating food XXXXXXX in iron. Very rarely consume alcohol and dont smoke. what do you think it could be, maybe an ulcer?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
It seems that you are suffering from gastroesophageal reflux disease, a condition where the integrity of the lower end of oesophagus is compromised which leads to a reflux of food and acid back into the oesophagus.
Treatment of this condition involves drugs which are called proton pump inhibitors. You can try Prevacid 20 once daily for the next 1-2 weeks and you shall feel much better.
Further, you should try and prop your head up while sleeping and avoid eating late at night. Avoiding alcohol and smoking will also help.
If the symptoms return after stopping the medicine, then please consult your treating physician for an evaluation.
Thanks and good luck.