Getting pain in heel and walking difficulty after waking up in the morning. How to control this?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Past 3-4 months, whenever I wake up in the morning, my left heel pains too much, that difficult to walk, then only after 5-10 minutes it will reduce to walk. But now a days, even if sit for longer time, I used to feel same pain. Can you suggest me , what may be this problem, and what I need to do?
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later

Your heel pain seems to be due to planter fasciitis. It is an inflammation of the band of tissue (the plantar fascia) that extends from the heel to the toes.

Do not worry , you can manage this with conservative treatment-

1)Stretch the arch of the foot -While flat on your back, lift your leg straight in the air and wrap a towel around the front of your foot. Then, with both hands pull on the towel and stretch the ball of the foot and ankle, so that your knee is straight and the foot position starts to point towards your nose. 
This directly stretches the plantar fascia and the calf muscles.

2)Avoid going barefoot. When you walk without shoes, you put undue strain and stress on your plantar fascia.

3)Ice. Putting an ice pack on your heel for 20 minutes several times a day helps reduce inflammation. Place a thin towel between the ice and your heel; do not apply ice directly to the skin.

4)Limit activities. Cut down on extended physical activities to give your heel a rest.

5)Shoe modifications. Wearing supportive shoes that have good arch support and a slightly raised heel reduces stress on the plantar fascia.

You can take anti-inflammatory drug like ibuprofen one tablet as and when required to reduce pain and inflammation.

Hope this will helps you. Let me know if you have no any concern.

Warm regards
Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic Surgeon