Getting mild fever. Blood work done, diagnosed with cytomegalovirus. Is it curable?

I have been challenged with some health issues over the last 2-3 weeks and just wanted to ask for the second opinion for the sake of clarity.
Two weeks ago all of a sudden mild evening fevers started, 37.1-37.5 in the afternoons. The doctors ran a few tests to begin with, they found the CRP at 8 (max 5) and increase of WBC on the count of lymphocytes.
As nothing much changed over a week, they took a few more tests and basicly what they found out was the cytomegalovirus, both tests were positive which means that the virus is active. They also found several reactive lymphocytes but I did not get what it means.

Doctors said that there is no cure for this, that eventually it will disappear. Now for 6 days I have not had a fever. The doctors said to wait some 3-4 weeks with new tests but I could not resist and did the complete blood count again. The CRP was down to normal but the CBC still had elevated number for WBC (11.62, XXXXXXX 10) coming mainly from increased lymphocytes. I called my doctor, he said it is normal in a case of such a virus to still have the numbers up. I have also attached this last test for your analysis.

Would you agree with this and if so, for how long can the lymphocytes stay up?
Posted Mon, 30 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 6 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Lymphocytosis ( increased lymphocytes in the blood) on your peripheral smear is due to the Cytomegalovirus Infection. It's indeed a self limiting viral infection.

Your doctor was right. Neither there is any treatment for this condition, nor it is necessary to be treated. Since it is self limiting, the disease subsides by itself.
Reactive lymphocytes means that whenever there is a viral or fungal infection in the body , the lymphocytes increase in number to take care of this infection.
The lymphocytosis usually reverts to normal in 3 to 4 weeks time. Very rarely, it can persist a little longer.

I would like to reassure you that you appear to have recovered from the viral illness.
Do not worry about the CBC results.

Please get back if you need any further information.

Warm regards

Dr Kiran