Getting itchy red bumps on upper arms, chest, thighs and knees. Have dandruff. Any solution?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
i have small red bumps that occasionally crust over to become scabs on my upper arms, chest, and sporadically on my torso upper thighs (groin region) and now the backs of my knees. They rarely itch .. but they are unslightly. They appear redder after a warm shower however it has been weeks and no amount of sorbelene or similar moisturisers nor different soaps, washing powders and gels have fixed the issue. Also i have had heavy dandruff around my ears and along my hairline - this has only appeared along with these bumps - i often wash my hair, do not expose myself to airconditioning and often rub the effected areas with moisturisers
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Skin Rash

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 13 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX,
Thanks for sharing your query.
1) Kindly answer the following details:
A) Any itch/ rash on face.
B) Presence of fever.
C) Presence of same disease in other family members.
2) After watching your posted picture, your skin disease appears to be Scabies (if face is not involved) or some viral infection (If fever is present).
3) There may be possibility of acne but acne generally appears on chest, back but not on lower limb.
4) You should consult with dermatologist and get medicine on written prescription.
Put your query if you have.
Sincerely,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Getting itchy red bumps on upper arms, chest, thighs and knees. Have dandruff. Any solution? 25 minutes later
no marks on face - marks stop at lower neck area. - No fever what so ever nor itching with any other members of family/sexual partners. I have had scabies in the past (this time last year) and it was much itchier than this problem - this has no associated itching what so ever. Is using moisturisers going to help or do i NEED prescription medication to solve this problem - as i find it hard to get time away form work to go to a doctor

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 4 minutes later
This is most likely scabies.
You should consult with dermatologist and get medicine on written prescription.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava