Getting hissing sound in ear. ABR test normal. Diagnosed with tinnitis. Looking for cure

ENT Specialist
I have been having this hissing in my ear for over a year now, I went to an ENT and he sent me for a hearing test, which my ear was a little diminished, but I don't need a hearing aid. I also went for an ABR test, and everything was fine, but my doctor told me that I have tinnitis, and it comes with age. I didn't want to hear that. Because I am a healthy 72 year old woman who takes care of herself, with healthy eating habits and daily exercise. I also am taken for 50 years old. I was annoyed when my ENT doctor said it comes with age, and there is no cure. I have this hissing constantly, when it's quiet I hear it more, otherwise when I'm not thinking of it I don't hear it. Is there any cure for it?
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. As the inner ear converts sound energy into electrical energy, a background noise is created, similar to a shortwave radio. This noise is cancelled by an equal and opposite noise created by the brain.

2. When the hair cells in the inner ear get damaged over the years, there is a mismatch of this delicate balance and the sound heard is called Tinnitus. Tinnitus is very common. Everyone, at some point in their lives, has experienced tinnitus

3. If the sound can be heard by others, it is known as objective tinnitus. If the sound matched with the pulse, it may be vascular in origin. There is no cure for tinnitus however in certain cases, it can be controlled.

4. Decreased hearing also makes one more aware of tinnitus. You may also get middle ear pressure checked (Impedance Audiometry). There is remote chance that your eye drops (Lumigan / Bimatoprost) may be the cause. If the Tinnitus started after using the drops, request your eye specialist to change them and observe for any change in the Tinnitus.

5. Common tinnitus therapy includes ginkgo biloba, multivitamins and antioxidants.

6. Trans-tympanic steroids and Caroverine Injection and Capsules (Tinnex) are effective in some patients.

7. Kindly let me know the results of your investigation and the effects of changing the eye drops. This will help in suggesting further treatment. I must emphasize that in a vast majority of patients of tinnitus, the cause is never found. However there are further treatment options depending on the type of tinnitus.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Getting hissing sound in ear. ABR test normal. Diagnosed with tinnitis. Looking for cure 13 minutes later
Thankyou for answering my question about tinnitis. Te last time I went to my ENT doctor, he took out the wax with something that looked like a strange. It stopped for a while, but then it came back again.

As far as the lumigand I just realized the tinnitis id start after I was using the drops. I have an appointment with my opthamoligist the end of May, I couldin't get it any sooner due to the amount of patients she sees. I will mention it to my doctor during my visit, or I may just call her up and ask her if she can change my drops.

Thanky you Doctor Bhati, I am very satisfied with your answer.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 37 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Yes, ear wax build-up is a common cause for Tinnitus. It is important to have your middle ear pressures checked since your Tinnitus did change immediately after getting the ear cleaned. This is useful as this condition is one of the few instances where Tinnitus can be treated.

2. The issue with the eye drops can only be ascertained by substitution or cessation of the eye drops for a few days. This should only be done in consultation with your Eye Specialist.

3. Meanwhile you may discuss the above-mentioned treatment options with your physicians. Kindly let me know your progress. You may follow up directly at

Wishing you good health,

Follow-up: Getting hissing sound in ear. ABR test normal. Diagnosed with tinnitis. Looking for cure 4 minutes later
Hi Doctor, I will keep you informed when I get in touch with my eye doctor.

Thankyou, I feel so much positive now.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 4 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

This should be the best course of action,