Getting high occurrence of bruises on buttock. What is the required treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I keep getting bruises on the left side of my buttock and on the side of my leg by the hip flexor (where the indentation is on the side of your leg), but I have suffered no trauma. They don't really hurt. I do work out and have just started running, and I have no bruises anywhere else on my body. The bruises aren't constant, but there do seem to be a high occurrence of them always in the same area.
Posted Sat, 20 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 43 minutes later
Development of large bruises on your legs spontaneously without any history of injury is suggestive of a bleeding disorder. You need to consult your physician to get a complete blood coagulation profile checked with APTT and platelet count to rule out other possible causes like thrombocytopenia.
This can also happen due to a viral infection in the recent past- decreases the synthesis of platelets from the bone marrow.
Presence of any autoimmune disorders also needs to be ruled out.
The treatment is based on the diagnosis and severity of the problem. Treatment is usually done by fluid infusion, steroids, immunoglobulins, blood transfusions, etc according to the severity of the condition.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Getting high occurrence of bruises on buttock. What is the required treatment? 12 hours later
I don't have development of large bruises spontaneously on my legs. I seem to keep getting a bruises periodically on my left buttock for no apparent reason. There are no bruises anywhere else on my body.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
Even if the bruises are small in size, their appearance without any history of trauma is worrisome. Connective tissue disorders and platelet dysfunction needs to be ruled out after consulting your physician.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.