Getting headaches and migraines, blacking out, urgency to use the bathroom, nausea,and hot or cold flashes. Advise?

Nov 2013

I get frequent headaches and migraines I was wondering what I should log to help doctor find cause or to help reduce their frequency. They can leave me dizzy, light headed/ actually blacking out, extreme urgency to use the bathroom, nausea, my eyes sometimes dart back and forth sometimes, and hot/cold flashes. I am going to my doctor and have an appointment with a neuro next month but I don't know how best to explain my symptoms when they ask their follow up questions. I want to present the symptoms in an accurate way for the doctor to understand but I don't always understand their questions ( I think about a question and they have moved on to several questions and I am wondering what was the "normal" level that they are using to know if it is an increase). I don't know what would be relevant and how to present the data that is. My headaches happen almost daily are normally on the right side if that helps. I get a migriane maybe 2 times a month. What symptoms are important to note and how would you want it noted to best understand how to help a patient.
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to tell you that you have given a very good description of your symptoms, and the neurologist would be interested in knowing all these.

In addition, the following points would be helpful:

Duration of headache episodes (how many hours or days),
Any accompanying nausea or vomiting,
Does the headache worsen in sunlight or in loud noise?
Any XXXXXXX (zigzag lines, flashes of light, etc) prior to headache episodes,
Any family history of migraines,
Any triggers for headaches, such as fasting, delayed meals, lack of sleep, road journey, stress, any food, smells, periods, etc.
Any medicines that have helped you.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist