Getting headache, night sweats. Found painful lump under ear. Suspected for strep throat. Second opinion?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My daughter has a painful hard non moveable lump under her ear. She has been complaining of a headache each morning and is having night sweats. I took her to the ER last night when I found it and they said it was probably strep throat but she hasn't had a fever. The strep rest was negative and he wants me to see a pediatrician to discuss other possible diagnosis because it is so big? What does he think it might be? I'm so scared.
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 14 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

The following are the possibilities

1 parotid swelling - it is under the ear and will lift up the ear.
2 enlarged lymph node of inflammatory origin.
There are many cause of enlarged lymph node like any infection viral,bacterial including tuberculosis.

Painful lumps are usually benign.
Do not worry.
Take her to the pediatrician for evaluation,some blood tests and if necessary biopsy.
If inflammatory it will respond to a course of antibiotics.
Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma