Getting headache after coming from a trip. Any medication or remedy?

Nov 2013

I am 73 years old. I had a concussion at sea level and I had headaches there. I went to my home-7200 ft high headaches much worse. 3 trips to sea level and the headaches were less severe. Returned home severe headaches returned. This is going for almost 2 years since the big accident. What is going on?
Posted Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Most likely, you are suffering from high altitude headache. This happens at higher altitudes (typically above 2500 meters) and starts within 24 hours of reaching a high altitude destination. Headaches resolve within 8 hours of descent to a low altitude (such as sea).

Headaches may be on both sides of head, mostly in front or sides of head and is aggravated by straining, coughing, bending, exertion, etc.

People with concussion or migraine are more prone to develop it.

There is no need to worry about it.

If possible, slow ascent to a higher altitude may prevent it.

Medication that is useful in this is acetazolamide.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir KumarMD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist