Getting frequent nosebleeds and irregular periods. Having sharp pain in nostril shoots up to eye. Done with CBC test. What could it be?

ENT Specialist

My daughter has been getting frequent nosebleeds and has had irregular periods(every two weeks) for the last couple of years now. Her doctors suspected a clotting disorder(von Willebrands) but she tested negative for that. The doctor did say that her cbc showed an elevated hemoglobin at 17. She is 16 years old. Today she had a gushing nosebleed and soaked 6 tissues before it stopped after about 5 minutes. She said that she had a sharp pain that shot up through her nostril to behind the right eye. I'm very concerned that this is not normal. I would assume with all the blood loss that she would be anemic but her cbc does not reflect that. Any ideas as to what this might be.?
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 1 hour later
Thanks for your query
From the information provided by you, your daughter have elevated hemoglobin inspite of bleeding.
Higher than normal hemoglobin may indicate-
Congenital heart disease
Cor pulmonale
Pulmonary fibrosis
Polycythemia Vera
For exact diagnosis complete health check up is required.
If you have any doubt, I will be available for your query.