Getting frequent headaches. Stomach encounters gastric problems. Habit of 8-12 cigarettes per day. Suggest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
Sir I am getting headaches frequently, twice or thrice a week which last for 2-5 hours. Mostly I get headaches when my stomach encounters gastric problems. Finally my headache gets over only after vomiting. What's the remedy?
Got habit of 8-12 cigarettes per day and Couple of pegs thrice a week

Thanks,
XXXXX
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 12 minutes later
Thank you for posting your query.

The most likely cause of your repeated headaches could be migraines. Since they are frequent, you should start preventive migraine medications. Good medications for you could be topiramate, beta blockers or divalproex.

In addition, for pain relief, you could take rizatriptan or sumatriptan tablets.

If you do not get better in a few weeks, please see a neurologist and get a brain scan done to exclude any XXXXXXX brain problems.

I hope it helps.
Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My email: YYYY@YYYY
My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/

Follow-up: Getting frequent headaches. Stomach encounters gastric problems. Habit of 8-12 cigarettes per day. Suggest? 4 minutes later
But Sir, i am geting headaches only when my stomach encounters gastric problems. If my stomach is fine i never experience any headaches.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.

There is a close link between gastric problems and migraine, because of neural connections between the gut and brain.
In your case, in addition to migraine treatment, you would also require treatment for gastric symptoms for long-term benefit.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)