Getting frequent headache and upset stomach. What test should be done?

Sep 2012

Hello Doctor
I have 2 problems
1) I get very frequent headaches, Earlier I use to take tablet once in 2/3 months which has now increase to once in 15 days.
Reasons may be
I. I wear glasses with high nos ie 4
II. I work in front of laptop continously for around 10 hrs with just 2-3 breaks ie for lunch & snacks
also i have check my glasses and there has been increase in the nos which i have got corrected after which the headache problem has reduce...
Should i go for brain screening test , if required pls let meknow the test name.
2. I have very upset stomach ie whenever i have outside food i have to vomit out to get it normal or else my stomach feels full, there is no pain as such.
Any test I should go for..

Posted Thu, 8 Nov 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later

I have read through your account and I shall answer your queries one by one:

1. The type of headache you mentioned is most likely due to visual problems.

So, just keep your visual error corrected. It should be tested in every 6 months.

When you are working in front of laptop, take micro-breaks for 5 minutes once in every hour. Make it a habit. It will prevent your visual error from increasing.

If these do not reduce your headache and you have any other neurological symptoms (like dizziness / low hearing ability / double vision, etc) then you can consult a neurologist and do the CT scan of brain. But right now, you do not need brain screening tests.

2. Regarding your upset stomach, it is most like due to chronic hyper-acidity.
- You must avoid outside / XXXXXXX foods for few days.
- Take proton pump inhibitor group of drugs once before breakfast.
- Take enzyme syrup 30 minutes before the heavy meals.
- Take liver protecting medicines for a good and healthy liver.
- Follow this for one month and if you do not get any relief than consult a gastroenterologist for further investigation and management.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Getting frequent headache and upset stomach. What test should be done? 2 hours later
Thank you Doctor

Just wanted to check as I only get stomach upset/fulliness only when i have outside food. As of now everything is normal
Should I still take proton pumpu and enzyme and liver protecting medicines for 1 month ?

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later

Thanks for following up.

You can still take those drugs. It is well tolerated by most and has no ill effects. Besides that, it will increase you ability to have outside food and also will prevent you from getting any type gastrointestinal disease.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.