Getting frequent common colds, sore throat and sudden chills. What medicine should I take?

ENT Specialist
Hi, I live in Bangalore which has a cold climate compared to rest of India. As a result I start getting frequent common colds, sore throat and sudden chills . This happens more in the months thru XXXXXXX to January that is monsoon and winter. Can you tell me what medication to take
Posted Fri, 24 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 8 hours later

Thanks for the query

You seem to be suffering from nasal allergy, which is the root cause for all your problems. More than the chill weather it is the dust in the polluted environment of Bangalore which is causing recurrent problems.

As there is no cure for allergy; only the preventive measures you follow can get rid of you from allergy.

A few suggestions which you can follow:

1. Drink plenty of warm water.
2. Avoid sleeping directly under the fan or in front of the air conditioner.
3. Change your pillow cover every night before going to bed.
4. Try using steroid nasal spray (such as fluticasone or momentasone) once in the morning; this will reduce most of your problems. Also try using saline nasal spray; this will help in keeping the nasal mucosa moist.
5. When affected with cold, please do steam inhalation 3-4 times a day.
6. Avoid taking coffee when you are having cold as this will dry up the nasal and throat secretions hence worsening your problems.
7. When exposed to dust or smoke, please cover your nose with a clean handkerchief.
8. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables; these are available in abundance in Bangalore.

With the above measures your problems should be solved.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Getting frequent common colds, sore throat and sudden chills. What medicine should I take? 26 hours later

I already do most of the above things diligently. Maybe I will try the nasal spray. You may be right about the dust as whenever I travel by auto - the next day I develop a cold. I usually travel my my own vehicle but sometimes have to use an auto. Does it mean all Bangloreans are doomed with the dust? I have been hearing about the pollen/dust problem for a long time. Isn't there a solution to this? Also, can you please let me know if taking Cetirizine Hydrocholride daily is useful to protect against allergy. Does it have any harmful side effects
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 16 minutes later

Thanks for writing back

Bangalore is indeed very dusty nowadays; thanks to the metro works going on since past few years. Due to this, most of the Bangloreans are suffering from asthma and other allergy related problems.

There is no solution for allergy; 'prevention is better than cure'. The medicines you take for allergy will give you only temporary relief, but does not cure the problem. Cetrizine is not recommended for everyday use as it has its own side effects such as dryness of the nose and mouth. Moreover, daily medication with cetrizine is recommended only for those individuals who are very sensitive for the allergens.

I do not think, you will require cetrizine everyday. You should take cetrizine only when there are allergic symptoms.

I wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon