Getting feeling of numbness in hands and jaw. How to cure this?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Two years ago I had what I thought was the flu. I awoke with numbness in hands and numbness of jaw. Tests were negative. Symptoms greatly reduced aftger several days. Recently, I again experienced what I thought was the flu (body aches-headache) awoke with numbness of both hands concentrated at the finger tips.
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 45 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query on Health care Magic.

The symptoms of feeling numbness in hands and jaw are unlikely to be due to flu (influenza).
Numbness of extremities is seen in cases of diabetes mellitus (diabetes neuropathy).
So, you need to get a fasting blood test done.
Numbness also occurs in Vitamin B 12 deficiency.
Nutritional deficiencies are common in your age group.

So, consult your physician for a clinical examination and ordering relevant tests.

Thanks and take care.
Dr Shailja P Wahal