Getting dry and cracked lips in cold weather. How to get rid of it?

When it is winter I get cracks in my lips. Even after I apply gel it becomes dry after sometime. Sometime lip becomes very hard. Due to this crack lip skin comes out as well, when I start peeling it off, it starts bleeding. Please suggest.
Posted Sun, 17 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 53 minutes later
Hi, welcome XXXXXXX. Thanks for writing in.
There are many causes for dry and cracked lips. Climate change, sun damage , dehydration, smoking, vitamin deficiency or allergic reactions.
To avoid cracking of lips best way is avoid exposure to factors or take precautionary measures. Please follow few things as
1. Drink plenty of fluids
2. Apply ointments like lip balm, petroleum jelly, aloe Vera. Rub cucumber slice for 5 min.
3 . avoid excessive biting or pilling of skin of lips.
4. Avoid excessive use skin treatment.
5. Take multivitamin tablet for 1 month.
6. Change your tooth paste to herbal paste.

No need to worry too much. It is a temporary condition.
Hope this will work for you.