Getting chronic pain after tendinopathy. Taking tramadol. Is it safe to take doxycycline?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Why would my doctor want me to take doxycycline and XXXXXXX tea extra for pain associated with tendonopathy.

I've had lateral hip pain for 4 years now. Everytime I try phsio, it flares up so badly that I have to stop. I do very very minimal physio. The flare ups are so painful, and seem so out of keeping with the diagnosis. The only thing that works for the pain is tramadol, and tramadol keeps me up at night, so I can't function well during the day.

I'm very tired of the chronic pain. 6 cortison shots have had no effect. The orthopedic surgeon says no surgery is required.

I'm not sure what to do anymore. I can't afford to keep going to the doctors and physio. Especially as I am not seeing any improvement. It just goes round in circles. Flare up - pain - rest - virtually no activity - pain killers - feel a bit better - bit of exercise or physio - flare up etc etc

At the very least 100mg of tramadol is required to provide relief, but usually it just makes me so high that I can ignore the pain rather than providing relief.
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Tendinopathy is often associated with a chronic pain which needs regular anti inflammatory drugs for relief. If tramadol is causing considerable side effects then you can get some oral muscle relaxants prescribed from your orthopedician.
Doing a regular hot fomentation will also help in decreasing the inflammation. Taking NSAIDs like Naproxen can also help you. Doxycycline and XXXXXXX tea extracts can help in decreasing the inflammation.
Regular physiotherapy is the only way to have a long term relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.