Getting Upper Respiratory Tract Infection. Have been prescribed Altipod and Levocet. Suggestion?

Excellent

ENT Specialist
Question
Hello Doctor,

I am frequently getting Upper reason for this? Is it because of the air conditioning in the office?
Please suggest any remedy for this.

Currently I am treated for the same. I have been prescribed Altipod 200mg and Levocet D for 4 days.

Thanks
XXXXXX
Posted Thu, 27 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 33 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. If you have been prescribed antibiotics, you may be having an acute URTI. Complete this course of medication.

2. Causes for frequent URTIs include:
A. Chronic tonsillitis Nd lymphoid hypertrophy in the throat.
B. Viral infections and contaminated air conditioning systems.
C. Frequent exposure to cold air such as near AC vents, sudden changes in temperatures such as frequently moving in and out of AC environments.
D. Dehydration and dryness of the throat due to ACs, acid reflux, mouth breathing due to a blocked nose, snoring or Sleep Apnea.
E. Decreased Immunity.
F. A post nasal drip.
G. Allergy to food stuff.

3. After this episode of URTI settles down, get a nasal examination and endoscopy done. This will help understand the nature of your problem.

4. HEPA filters for sir conditioning systems are available but very expensive.

5. A medicated gargle may help in the short term. If you can share the clinical examination findings, throat swabs and images from the nasal and throat examinations, further treatment options may be discussed.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Getting Upper Respiratory Tract Infection. Have been prescribed Altipod and Levocet. Suggestion? 1 hour later
Thanks doctor. I will get the nasal exam and endoscopy done after recovering from the current problem.

How do I increase the immunity? Do you suggest and food supplements?

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 29 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. A good diet, moderate activity / exercise, adequate rest / sleep and avoiding stress will improve your immunity.

2. The commonly used supplements to boost immunity are multi-vitamins, anti-oxidants and minerals. These are available OTC.

3. there is a new tablet launched recently by Cipla Respiratory known as Pulmigen. It is a bacterial lysate. it may help increase your immunity to frequent URTIs. This would, however, require medical supervision.

4. You may follow up after your examination directly at bit.ly/Dr-Sumit-Bhatti

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Regards.

Follow-up: Getting Upper Respiratory Tract Infection. Have been prescribed Altipod and Levocet. Suggestion? 5 hours later
Thank You.

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 15 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

Regards.