General anaesthetic, mood swings, depression, low energy, plastered foot, anxiety, sore throat

I am 49 yrs old & of normal weight. (9st). Just over 2 weeks ago I had general anaesthetic for foor surgery and since then have been having mood swings, feeling very depressed at times and my tolerance levels are at zero. I also have very low energy levels, which is unusual for me. I am on crutches and my foot is in plaster. Is this a normal reaction and if so, how long is this likely to last?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 16 minutes later

Thanks for your query
General Anaesthesia is used for major surgeries and patient can experience some common side effects as fatigue,headaches,dizziness,anxiety,mood swings,sore throat etc for few weeks after the surgery.
Since the anaesthesia affects the entire body including brain and reflexes the patient may exhibit these symptoms and usually after 3 to 4 weeks they disappear.It also depends on the body response of each individual.
If any of the symptoms persists for long or becomes bothersome kindly see a Physician for evaluation.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available to answer your follow up query.