Gastric ulcers, blood in stool, weight loss. Is the diagnosis correct, advise?

Hi,My Father is 61 years old.5 months back he had gastric ulcers which was very XXXXXXX He had blood in stool too at that period.We admitted him to a hospital and he got cured after 7 days.He consumed 5 bottles of blood and several bottles of Saline.....Now He is facing a problem of weight loss.He has lost almost 10 - 12 kg of weight and he feels too weak.Today morning he got fainted and is admitted to ccu now.Can some one please provide me some advice ??....I'm even not sure if the diagnosis is correct....please give me some sort of advice...I'm really tensed.....and the main problem is that I need to stay away from my family for my job!!
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 6 hours later
Thanks for the query
Weight loss occurs when the body does not absorb as many calories as it uses. Rapid unintentional weight loss in men may be a symptom of serious illness. A comprehensive health history is the first step in making a diagnosis. The answers to questions such as when did weight loss start, how much weight has been lost, has diet or activity level changed, have there been mood changes or in bladder or bowel habits and any other symptoms will provide clues. A physical exam and laboratory findings, such as blood and urine tests, X-rays or ultrasounds,CT scans or MRI scans may be necessary to find the cause of unintentional weight loss and determine treatment choices.
There is huge list of causes for such unexplained loss of weight which includes
Simple reason like sustained blood loss from earlier gastric ulcers
Bowel diseasesĀ 
Infections like tuberculosis and HIVĀ 
Various types of malignancies etc
Let your father be investigated properly in the hospital to find the cause for weight loss and then treatment can be instituted accordingly.
I hope to have answered your query however you can revert to me for any further query
Thanks and best of luck.