Gastric bypass surgery to be done. Trying to lose weight. Should I go for surgery for weight loss?

Psychiatrist
Question
weight issuesHello my name is XXXXXXX I am 16 years old I weigh 240 pounds. I talked to my doctor about having a like to be.at least 150 . my little sister is 13.and she weighs 250 . we need help before.its.to late. what should we.do? we need help.
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Weight Loss

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

I understand what you are going through. You are certainly depressed and I hope you are not considering harming yourself. As you currently you have depression and whatever decision you take right now will not be rational and practical. You need to visit a nearby psychiatrist and discuss the issue with him. He would like to administer you some talk therapy and also start you on some drugs (SSRI / Bupropion) after which you will start feeling better in 1-2 weeks time.

Coming to your weight issue, it is always reversible. Surgery is an option, but then lifestyle change and conservative treatment are also available. I am sure you are exercising regularly and also maintaining your diet. If not then please do that; as it will definitely benefit your weight as well as mood. There are certain drugs like rimonabant, metformin and topiramate which can reduce your weight. You may discuss with your current physician about the aforementioned drugs - those can help you too.
Surgical remedies can be considered under trained experts if all conservative measures do not help.

But then these issues can always wait and your depressive thoughts warrant immediate attention. Please seek help of a psychiatrist as soon as possible.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be more than happy to help you if you need any further clarifications.

Wish you a good health!