Gas in upper abdomen. Associated with constipation. Mild pain in liver region. Sorbiline enough?

Question
I am feeling discomfort in the upper region of stomach, below the chest, it is formation of too much gas. taking Sorbiline (2 teaspoon) twice a day is giving good relief. the problem is also associated with moderate constipation. Sometimes I am also feeling mild pain in lever region.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Radhika 58 minutes later

You have provided me with good information.
You are suffering from discomfort in upper region of stomach due to gas. You are also having constipation for which you are taking Sorbiline.

Sorbiline is a drug used for treatment of constipation. It contains sorbitol which causes nausea, diarrhoea, stomach cramps, and rectal or anal irritation. You might be getting lower abdominal pain due to this.

Mild pain in lower region can be most probably due to acidity and constipation too. You will need to change your diet and lifestyle to reduce this.

1. Eat fresh fruits and vegetables preferably with the skin as it provides fibre.
2. Drink 2 to 3 litres of water every day.
3. In case of gas drink mint juice with salt, lemon and ginger.
4. Avoid tea, coffee and soft drinks.
5. Reduce the amount of non vegetarian food, oily and spicy food you consume
6. Stop smoking and consuming alcohol.
7. Do daily exercises or walking. This aids digestion.

You can try Syrup Looz for constipation, 2 tsp at night for 4 days. For gas and acidity, use Mucaine gel 2tsp before meals for 5 days.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Gas in upper abdomen. Associated with constipation. Mild pain in liver region. Sorbiline enough? 3 hours later
I am already following most of your recommendations.
This problem has started around 1 1/2 months back. First it started with occasional mild pain in lever regoin, later on developed discomfort in upper stomach region with gas
How long I have to continue the medication.
What is your opinion regarding continuation of Sorbilin (two teaspoon) twice a day after meal, it is giving me good relief, though skipping even one dose, the problem recurs.

Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later
Thanks for the follow up.

It is good that you are following most of the recommendations. If you feel any discomfort upon using Sorbilin, you can change it to Looz. You can take this for a week at night times 2tsp.

I would suggest that anti-secretory agents like omeprazole be started for you. However, they are prescription drugs and you would need to see your treating physician for the same.

Also it is better to do an Ultrasound Abdomen to rule out any other cause.

Regards.