Gaining weight and have short term memory issues. Woke up with black eye. What's the cause?

I woke up this morning with an unexplained black eye (my left eye), but it does not hurt. It just looks bad. What could have caused this to happen in my sleep? I have also gained 30 pounds in 6 months and I have not changed my diet or exercise. My co-workers have claimed I forget things--short term memory issues too. I am an active alcoholic, drinking a bottle of wine per day. I do not get drunk, I use it to relax. My skin is very dry, nails are cracked.
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 20 minutes later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
This is known as spontaneous periorbital ecchymosis, more commonly called Racoon Eyes, and occurs in the elderly due to increased pressure in the capillary beds of the peri-orbital tissues. The most common cause is excessive straining while attempting a bowel movement in the presence of constipation or difficulty passing stool, or in some rare instances, difficulty in passing urine. Intense coughing or sneezing more often results in a subconjunctival hemorrhage (bleeding in the sclera or white portion of the eye), than spontaneous ecchymosis.

There are other causes, such as giant cell arteritis, or amyloidosis , but you dont have any other symptoms like headache or diarrhoea so it is very less likely possibility.

Considering your age there are symptoms like short term memory problems, dry skin etc which are mainly due to decreased oestrogen level of body . It needs oestrogen replacement therapy.

In both cases you have to consult a ophthalmologist for eye examination and gynecologist for oestrogen therapy.

Hope I have answered your query , if you have further concern, please let me know.