GI test under parasite stated Parasite present and taxonomy unavailable. Suggest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2012
Dec 2012

Question
Hello, my GI test came back all good except under parasites it stated: "Parasite present, taxonomy unavailable". Should I take another test to try to get the taxonomy? What would be the conventional drug of choice to get rid of this parasite? Many thanks!! XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
taxonomy only necessary if drug resistance

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting,

Well taxonomy is only necessary to determine the specific type of parasite available and most intestinal parasites are susceptible to the benzimidazole class of antibiotics e.g albendazole, mebendazole etc You can easily get them over-the-counter. Other classes could take care of filiaria parasites.
I do not think you need taxonomy but you could go in for it, if your doctor or you are curious on what type of parasite.

Hope that this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah

Follow-up: GI test under parasite stated Parasite present and taxonomy unavailable. Suggest? 20 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX for your kind reply. You mention that an over-the-counter antibiotic might do the trick? Would I need a prescription for an albendazole or mebendazole medicine? Would there be an over-the-counter medicine for filiaria parasites just in case it is one of them? Many many thanks for your kind help. Sincerely, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
There is the generic ivermectin

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow-up.
You can get generic ivermectin/mectizan from OTC (do not know if your country it is allowed as OTC) for filiarosis. Well prescription of albendazole or mebendazole might be needed if the country requires so, but it is a medication that can be obtained OTC for deworming and does not require prescription.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah

Follow-up: GI test under parasite stated Parasite present and taxonomy unavailable. Suggest? 25 hours later
Thank you Doctor. I can get Vermox (mebendazole) (anthelmintic) by prescription. Would this be a good drug to ask my doctor about? Thanks, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
your welcome

Detailed Answer:
Yes you can take vermox, it is good for deworming and you can definitely ask your doctor about it and probably allow him to suggest any other available alternatives.

Dr. Nsah