Fullness, pressure in ear, neck and eye area, no runny nose or fever, coughing yellow phlegm, neck tightness, twitching eyelid. Do I have sinus infection?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello, symptoms are:
Fullness, pressure in left ear, neck, temporal, eye are.
No runny nose, fever or known illness,
Coughed up mucous and yellow phlegm
Feeling of tightness in neck on left side
Pressure around temporal area, and yesterday my left eye lid was feeling heavy and twitching.

Do I have a sinus infection?
Posted Tue, 10 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Your symptoms are likely to be due to sinus infection.
The irritation is likely to be caused by allergies or viral infection. These symptoms are usually self limiting. For the treatment of acute sinusitis, antibiotics are a must as it involves infection of nasal air sinuses. You cannot get any antibiotic for systemic use without a prescription.
So it is best to schedule an appointment with an ENT specialist who after proper examination and swab culture test will choose the best antibiotic for you. Till the time you get an appointment, you can follow some general measures which will help you upto some extent like-
1. Do steam inhalation at least twice daily- Take hot water in a vessel, put eucalyptus oil in it. Inhale it by covering yourself with a blanket. See to it that fans/AC are not on during this and after some time also i.e. around 10-15 minutes.
2.For pain relief, anti-inflammatory, fever reducing medications (acetaminophen, ibuprofen) will help you.
3.Take OTC available anti allergic agents like cetrizine or fexofenadine to rule out allergic cause.
4. Avoid all irritants.
5.Application of warm cloth, hot water bottle or gel pack to face for 5-10 minutes relieves pain and inflammation to some extent.
6.Use nasal decongestant or steroid drops or sprays for decongestion which encourages drainage.
7.Use a humidifier in your room.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Fullness, pressure in ear, neck and eye area, no runny nose or fever, coughing yellow phlegm, neck tightness, twitching eyelid. Do I have sinus infection? 13 hours later
Hello, thank you for the well informed response.
Last night I did the steam inhalation with eucalyptus oil, nasal decongestant drops, anti-inflammatory, and can rule out an allergy as I took an allergy pill yesterday morning, also the heating pad, and cool mist humidifier.

Before bed my head felt extremely irritated and tender, and a bit swollen.
Today the pressure is still centered near the temple and moving toward the eye and side of my head, not so much my ear and throat.

I was able to rest, my vision is not disturbed, and I have had no more drainage, just the pressure on the area I described.

I just find it hard to believe that my sinuses would be causing discomfort in this area...

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The pressure feeling in your head is likely to be related to tension headache or weak eyesight. Even the headache due to nasal congestion also takes time to subside completely.
You can continue using the decongestants and tylenol today and if the problem still persists then consult a physician for proper physical examination to find out the exact cause.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.