Fullness in esophagus when eating, stomach feels empty even hours later

Question
I often experience of fullness when eating in my esophagus and feel like I cannot eat anymore, but my stomach feels empty even hours later like I had not just eaten.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 6 hours later

These symptoms are suggestive of early satiety which is feeling of fullness even before completion of meals. It can be due to the following causes:

1)     Gastritis and acid reflux
2)     Gastroparesis(delayed gastric emptying,a disorder in which the stomach takes too long to empty its contents)
3)     Gastric outlet obstruction
4)     Irritable bowel syndrome
5)     Diabetes
6)     Hyperthyroidism
7)     Cushing’s disease
8)     Rarely GI especially stomach tumors.

Get your blood sugar levels checked and follow the following lifestyle measures:

1)     Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks.

2)     It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down. Also avoid taking two or three heavy meals. Instead, take regular frequent small meals. Avoid taking tea or coffee prior to bedtime and concentrate more on a healthy diet.

3)     To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods. Further, avoid eating any junk food or oily, spicy food. Take a healthy, balanced and nutritious diet consisting more of fruits, salads, soups and raw vegetables (after proper washing). Also increase the protein content in your diet instead of carbohydrates and fats. An advice from a dietitian will be helpful.

4)     Also take some antacid but if the symptoms are severe, then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole after consulting your doctor. Also then get other causes of early satiety ruled out.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Fullness in esophagus when eating, stomach feels empty even hours later 14 hours later
Thank you for your response. I changed my diet 3 months ago and do not experience 1 or 4. I have been tested for 5&6 and my numbers are good. I could look into 2&3. I am guessing there would be other issues, like weight loss. I will contact a GI MD to have an upper GI series.

I have one cup of coffee in the morning. No other caffeine or alcohol. No sugar, no dairy, no grains (they give me acid reflux). I do not eat greasy, fatty or spicy foods. Basically pretty plain veggies (mostly green) and protein (meat, fish). I have protein at every meal.

I am not having any symptoms other than always feeling hungry even when I have just eaten (of course the temporary sense of feeling fullness just under my rib cage.
I do not have (anymore) symptoms at night while lying down.

1) Gastritis and acid reflux
2) Gastroparesis(delayed gastric emptying,a disorder in which the stomach takes too long to empty its contents)
3) Gastric outlet obstruction
4) Irritable bowel syndrome
5) Diabetes
6) Hyperthyroidism
7) Cushing’s disease
8) Rarely GI especially stomach tumors

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 12 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me with the clarification.

It is good that diabetes and thyroid disease have been ruled out in your case. In that case and with sense of fullness just under the rib cage, it is mandatory to rule out any GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease)and gall bladder disease as well.

It is best to get an ultrasound gall bladder and an upper GI endoscopy/ barium meal done to confirm the diagnosis.

Follow-up: Fullness in esophagus when eating, stomach feels empty even hours later 6 hours later
Is it possible that it could be a hiatal hernia? When I take vitamins, Omega 3's etc. I can sometimes hours later get a back taste in my mouth like they have not moved out of my esophagus.

I appreciate the advice and I will make an appt with a GI MD.

thank you.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 15 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Hiatal hernia is a condition in which part of the stomach sticks upward into the chest, through an opening in the diaphragm. A hiatal hernia by itself rarely causes symptoms and the symptoms are basically of acid reflux, pain in chest and difficulty in swallowing.

Your symptoms are unlikely to be due to hiatal hernia. The taste in the mouth after taking the multivitamins is due to the gastroesophageal reflux after taking the multivitamins.

Hope this answers your query.

Kind regards.