Frequent urination at night. Taking urimax. Developed retrograde ejaculation. Any effective medicine?

Jul 2016

Hi ,I HAVE frequency of micturation in night (3 times) Residual urine is 67 ml Prostate size normal ,was never increased,12 gram only ,my age is- 51 years I was prescribed urimax 0.4 mg ,developed retrograde ejaculation in 3 days though the frequency improved . Is there some other drug i can take for reducing nocturnal frequrncy( 100 ml -150 ml each time 3-4 times which does not cause this bad side effect
Posted Sun, 10 Mar 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 7 hours later
Hello ,

Based on the facts and ultrasound scanning report that you have posted it appears that you have What is called as "Bladder Neck Obstruction (Stenosis)". During micturition because of obstruction your bladder neck does not open completely resulting into incomplete emptying of Bladder. Thus 67 cc of urine remains within the bladder after passing urine (Post Void Residue).

The drug Urimax that has been prescribed by your doctor is a group of drug that selectively relaxes the bladder neck muscles resulting into complete emptying of the bladder.

During ejaculation bladder neck is closed completely to prevent semen from going into the bladder resulting into forward entry of the semen in Urethra. However as after taking this drug, bladder neck remains relaxed and open; therefore semen enters into the bladder - Retrograde Ejaculation.

Retrograde ejaculation is common with Urimax, but since this is only group of drug available to relax the bladder neck you are bound to face this problem. You can try other medication of the same group having highly selective and similar action with minimal side effects like Naphtopedil starting with small dose. I hope Naphtopedil will help you. Please consult your family Physician for dosage and to get prescription of this drug.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.

With Regards,
Follow-up: Frequent urination at night. Taking urimax. Developed retrograde ejaculation. Any effective medicine? 7 hours later
Dr XXXXXXX urologist,U recommended naphtopedil,can you send commercial names of this,

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Thanks for follow up.Naphtopedil is available in 25,50 and 75 mg strength as NAFODIL manufactured by Intas Pharmaceuticals..Hope this will help you.
Thanks and Regards.