Ask a Urologist   »  

Frequent urge for urination. Cure?

for the past few years my boyfriend been having an issue. around three years ago had the urge to urinate a lot and he went and seen doctors and they could not find anything wrong. in the begining it was constant but now it just happens once in awhile. We are not always sexually active due to living situations, could this be a backed up issue for him or another issue?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting the question.

Your question is a very good one and I will try to provide you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on with your boyfriend.

First of all let me reassure you that I do not think there is any type of life-threatening issue going on. I do think however that this situation should be followed by a urologist.

One thought which comes to mind is that he may have experienced a mild degree of inflammation of the prostate. We refer to this as prostatitis. It is usually treated with antibiotics for at least three weeks. Typical symptoms include the urge to urinate frequently as well as getting up several times at night to urinate as well. It might also give someone the sense of urinary urgency.

If he is still having symptoms it would be reasonable to consider a trial of antibiotics for several weeks to see if this helps. If the symptoms still processed he may need to see a urologist to have a full urological exam. Of course it would be beneficial to check a quick urinalysis to make sure there is nothing abnormal within that test.

I don't think anything that he is dealing with has to do with sexual activity or backing up. I think it really would benefit him to discuss this with his primary care provider as this is something which is discussed very frequently in a typical office visit.

Again I thank you very much for submitting your question. If you have any additional concerns or clarifications I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert
Follow-up: Frequent urge for urination. Cure? 41 minutes later
Thank you for response.

In the beginning he went to a urologist and had a scoop done and test and they could not find anything. In the beginning it was really bad and now it happens once in a while. It even goes away for months, comes back for a day and goes away. Weird information but during winter time he doesn't seem to have the issue. could weight effect this. Around the time it started he just lost his job and was consistently just sitting around and isn't really active anymore.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 23 hours later
Hello and thank you for the follow up question.

It is certainly possible that excessive weight can contribute to this issue. If there is a mild degree of obesity this could cause a problem with adequate urinary flow.

Also inactivity as well as stress can sometimes affect the efficiency of the urinary tract. These are certainly things which we cannot discount in considering what is going on with him.

I would also suggest that if he continues to have problems with urinary flow regardless of the season or situation it may benefit him to take a low dose of a medication to help shrink the prostate. In the process of shrinking the prostate this can significantly improve the flow of urine through the urethra. This is something he should discuss with his Urologist.

I thank you very much again for your question and follow up. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them here.

Dr. Robert