Frequent stool in 2yr child (5-6 per day). Have lactose

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
Frequent stool in 2yr child (5-6 per day). Have lactose intorlance problem we are already giving him Soy Milk Isomil. But even though facing issue of stool sinc
Posted Tue, 21 Nov 2017 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like viral diarrhoea - suggestions given

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.

It seems your kid is having viral diarrhoea. Once it starts it will take 5-7 days to completely get better. Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry.

There is no need to use antibiotics unless there is blood in the motion. Antibiotics might worsen if unnecessarily used causing antibiotic associated diarrhoea.

I suggest you use zinc supplements (Z&D drops 1ml once daily for 14 days) & ORS (Each small packet mixed in 200ml of potable water and keep giving sip by sip) as hydration is very important and crucial part of treatment. If there is vomiting you can use Syrup Ondansetron (as prescribed by your paediatrician).

Regarding diet - You can use cerelac...any flavour will do. Avoid fruit juices as they might aggravate diarrhea. You can give zinc supplements & ORS apart from normal vegetarian porridges & soups.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,

Follow-up: Frequent stool in 2yr child (5-6 per day). Have lactose 48 minutes later
thanks for quick reply , but it already crossed more than 10 days. whenever we start giving rice or wheat the problem starts again as he is suffering from lactose problem, doctor recommend us to give him wheat or rice products diet. as isomil is only for up to 2 years of child. so please suggest accordingly.
should we go with your prescribed medicine for this issue?

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Avoid wheat, please give him rice-based food

Detailed Answer:

As you say he's having diarrhea everytime you give him wheat or rice, it may not be lactose intolerance.

Usually, rice-based feeds do not cause the allergic reaction.

So I suggest that you stop all wheat and wheat-based preparations including biscuits and try only rice based feeds.

Meanwhile please continue other medications I suggested.

Did you observe similar diarrhea whenever you feed with cow's milk...or are there any eczema or skin rashes with these feeds?

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Follow-up: Frequent stool in 2yr child (5-6 per day). Have lactose 10 hours later
ok thanks for suggestion.
1. Yes, we observe similar diarrhea whenever we feed with cow's milk/mother's milk/any natural milk or milk based products like cerelac etc except Soy Milk (Isomil or Zerolac).
2. No kind of skin rashes or eczema observed or noticed due to natural milk.
3. He is ok only when he took only Soy milk. but as per us Soy Milk is not for whole life option.

so pl suggest medical test or treatment for drill down the perticular problem or any allergy due to any food or milk.
meanwhile we'll start giving your recommended medicine.

thanks,

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on milk and lactose allergy

Detailed Answer:
Hi....MY suggestions for you -

1. You can do - Cow's milk specific antibody in the blood.

2. You can also do the food allergy panel in Lalpath labs with the help of your pediatrician.

3. Even soy milk has got 15% cross reactivity - so it is not an option on long run.

4. The best option for you will be 100% rice based feeds and avoid all types of milk and milk related products including the ones you buy outside and you need to check the ingredients and buy them for him.

Meanwhile continue the zinc supplements for 14 days.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Follow-up: Frequent stool in 2yr child (5-6 per day). Have lactose 9 minutes later
Point number 1 & 2 are blood test..! right?

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Those are the suggested blood tests

Detailed Answer:
Hi....Yes please. Those are the suggested blood tests.

I wish your kid a speedy recovery. If you need any future medical consultation and suggestions, I will be glad to help. You can approach me at the following link.
Once the page opens there will be an option below my image as – ASK ME A QUESTION – click on it.

In this way even in health care magic you can follow up always with a single doctor who knows the history of your kid completely. Please find the link below -

www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-sumanth-amperayani/67696

Regards - Dr. Sumanth