Frequent skin infection. Taken antibiotics. Blood test done. Could you suggest some permanent remedy?

I am 30yrs/Male, suffering from recurrent skin infections, only over face, the history is only of last 6-8 months..Boils comes and goes very often in the face. In last 6-8months. I already completed 5-6 courses of antibiotics like cloxacillin, flucloxacillin and presently on doxycycline. I have already been to many doctors for the treatment but none of their treatment proved to be an absolute cure for this frequent infection. On March 13,2013,my RBS is 80 mg/dl, HBA1c is 5.4.My lab reports of CBC,electrolytes,LFT and RFT all are under normal limit. I am a real sufferer. Could you please help me to rescue from this irritating and bothering disease?
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 6 days later
Thanks for sharing your concern with us.
Boils are infection of hair follicles. Recurrence occurs sometimes when someone is diabetic, anaemic, has some other skin disease, on some antibiotic medication for long or due to nasal carriage of staph aureus bacteria.
To treat recurrent infection
Firstly get pus culture sensitivity of the lesion. This would help in identification of pathogenic organism and antibiotic helpful to curb it.
Apply mupirocin cream inside nasal cavity for two weeks
Wash your hands frequently
Use antibacterial soap for bathing and washing face
Do warm water compresses of existing lesion followed by mupirocin application to help boils heal.
Keep your separate towel.
If required for recurrence, a course of rifampicing can be taken

Hope that answers your query. Should there be more, feel free to write back
Follow-up: Frequent skin infection. Taken antibiotics. Blood test done. Could you suggest some permanent remedy? 48 hours later
Thank your very much for the reply. Last friday, (March 29,2013) I had been to Dermatologist and he changed the diagnosis of so-called Boils/folliculitis/furunculosis which some doctors in the past had diagnosed to a skin infection named " Pseudocyst Acne". Since then, I am on Tab. Doxycycline 100mg*BD, Tab.Ranitidine 150mg*BD and Fusidine-H cream(Combiation of Fusidic acid 2% and Hydrocortisone cream 1%).

My present HBA1C is 5.5, Hemoglobin is 15 g/dl, I do not have any other skin disease and I am not on antibiotic or any other medication for long.

Now, I am more concerned with the frequent occurring of Psudocyst acne.I am really exhausted with its repeated occurrence since 8 months in spite of taking medications from many doctors.Could you please be kind enough giving me suggestions/tips on preventing the pseudo-cyst acne appearing in future.

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 13 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Personally, I feel the lesions look more like furuncles than of cystic acne.

However, I would respect your dermatologist's opinion as he must have made the diagnosis after thorough examination which is not possible just by looking at the images attached.

As far as cystic acne is concerned, apart from antibiotics it is always advisable to start a course of isotretinoin. Isotretinoin is the drug of choice in cystic acne. You may also use topical drugs like nadifloxacin, adapalene for application. If possible the cysts should be drained and intralesional steroids should be injected for early resolution of cysts. Fusidic acid as such has not much role in acne.

Furuncles may occur in normal settings too ie without being afflicted with diabetes, anemia, any immunodeficiency etc.

Hope that helps.

Follow-up: Frequent skin infection. Taken antibiotics. Blood test done. Could you suggest some permanent remedy? 19 hours later
The cystic acne that had come frequently in the past has left many scars in the face. Could you please help me with your valuable advice on how to get rid of those

Many thanks.

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 17 hours later
Apologies for the delay in responding back.
Depressed scars over face can be treated by below mentioned options-
Superficial scars
1) chemical peels
2) microdermabrasion
Moderate to deep scars
2) lasers
3) acne scar surgery

CROSS by using TCA for deep pin point scars known as ice pick scars.

You may get your scars analysed by your consulting dermatologist and start the treatment accordingly.

Hope that helps. Take care
Follow-up: Frequent skin infection. Taken antibiotics. Blood test done. Could you suggest some permanent remedy? 28 hours later
Thank you very much for patiently helping me with your valuable advice and treatment options.It was really of great help.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 9 minutes later
Wish you a speedy recovery.

PS should there be no other query, we may close the discussion.