Frequent bowel movement. Reason and remedy?

I go to shit 8-10 times a day especially after lunch , dinner , tea etc. It is embarassing in front of my friends and collegues to use toilets in public places like airports , flights , malls etc. What is the reason and remedy for the same.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later

You could be having symptoms of Irritable bowel syndrome(IBS). There are certain types of food that irritate the lining of your colon thereby increasing the peristalsis. Due to increased movements of the colon, your digestion is hastened and hence, frequent motions. You will have to work up a diet plan to cut out those items that affect you. Usually this is associated with abdominal pain, cramping and flatulence. This can even occur after GI infections, stress related, lactase dependant.

It would better to get it examined and evaluated by a gastroenterologist and few investigations like Colonoscopy and tissue biopsy would be required. The other probabilities which are needed to rule out are Colitis, Celiac's disease, Lactose intolerance.

Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
1. Avoid foods and drinks that stimulate the intestines (such as caffeine, tea, or colas)
2. Avoid alcohol and smoking
3. Increase dietary fiber
4. Avoid large meals and prefer small meals
5. Drink lots of fluids like water and fruit juices.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.