Fractured wrist. Had plaster cast. Hand and wrist swollen. Diagnosed crps. Advice?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
I fractured my wrist 10 weeks ago. I had a plaster cast on for the first six weeks. My hand and wrist are still swollen. My hand therapist has diagnosed crps. I do not have any pain. Is it possible to have crps withot the presence of pain? Or could it be something else? I would be grateful for any advice and/or opinions.
Many Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Complex regional pain syndrome

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Health care magic.

Colles fracture that is fracture in the distal 2/3 rd of the forearm commonly occurs due to fall on an outstretched arm.

These fractures have an increased chance (about 25%) of going into a condition described as complex regional pain syndrome.

And this occurs at about 9 - 10 weeks after fracture when most of the pain is resolved.
So there is a possibility of CRPS occurring without pain.

CRPS can occur in three stages.
Stage 1, 0-3 months: puffy swelling, redness, warmth, increased sweating, decreased movement
Stage 2, 3-6 months: worse pain, hard edema, cyanosis, dry skin, stiffness, atrophy of skin
Stage 3, > 6-12 months:skin pale, cool, dry, tight and glossy, joint contractures

I suggest you follow your doctors advice and get appropriate therapy as soon as possible as effective treatment in early stage gives very good outcome.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.