Fractured three bones in foot. Had severe pain and taking tylenol. What to do?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My 36 yr old daughter fractured three bones in her right foot two years ago.. She stepped on a small branch , it rolled and she felt a pop. Surgery was not indicated and she was placed in a boot. The past three days she has c/o pain at the old fx site. Tonight she was at her bathroom sink brushing her teeth. She felt a pop again in the rt foot ,had severe pain, and she fell to her knees. The foot instantly began to swell, and within a few minutes, was discoloring. She has taken Tylenol, iced and elevated, and put the boot on. I have never seen this happen in the 36 years I have been a nurse, please advise, thank you, XXXX RN MSN
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Could be due to Soft tissue Hematoma. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Presence of pain, swelling and discoloration after a pop in the foot indicates a soft tissue Hematoma (blood clot). I don't think that the present symptoms have got anything to do with the 2 year old injury to the same foot. An Xray of the foot is needed to diagnose any bony injury. MRI scan is needed to establish any soft tissue pathology. Consult an orthopedic surgeon for a detailed evaluation and further management. Momentarily, Please follow the basic guidelines as follows - - Protect the injured area from further injury by using a support or splint - Rest the injured joint . Avoid activity for the first 48 to 72 hours. - Ice packing the painful area for the first 48 to 72 hours after the injury. Apply ice wrapped in a damp towel to the injured area for 15 to 20 minutes every two to three hours during the day - Use an elastic compression bandage around the injured area to limit any swelling and movement that could damage it further. It should be wrapped snugly around the affected area but not so tightly that it restricts blood flow. - Keep the injured area raised and supported on a pillow to help reduce swelling. - Use simple analgesics like aleve or advil as needed. Hope I have addressed the query. Happy to help further Regards