Fractured foot and have intense burning in toes while elevating foot. Cause?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Fractured foot almost a week ago - when elevating foot I have intense burning in toes ( non fractured) which is only relieved by lowering leg and placing foot on the floor - is my elevation too high ? Is this a side effect of injections I'm taking against DVT ?
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it can be due to excessive elevation.

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.
Due to limb elevation there can be compression of spinal nerve root leading to tingling numbness in your toes and pain.
Therefore, I will advise you to elevate leg less than whatever you are doing it now and you should be comfortable at that level. Ideally, you can elevate around 30 cm on bed.

There are numerous side effect of inject able anticoagulant but your symptoms are not due to those injections.

For these symptoms analgesic and neurotropic medication can be started. And continue your calcium tablet with vitamin D.
I will advise to check your vit B12 and vit D3 level.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.