Found elevated hdl and ldl level. Suggested to take novastat. Is this medicine safe?

Hello Doc,
My HDL is 47 and my LDL is 148 LDL/HDL is 3.2 . Doctor has advised me to take novastat 10mg for six months . Is it necessary ? or changing the diet and lifestyle is enough ? Is there any side effects of Novastat ?

Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 51 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Your HDL is alright / LDL is rather high - 100 is desirable; 70 is ideal, if there is heart disease already / it is nearly one and a half times here... .
You will definitely benefit from life -style changes - but this level is high and you are unlikely to achieve the target,..It is better to take the drug also..

• Keep your weight to normal / even a little less
• Quit smoking, if you are a smoker
• Do regular EXERCISE – say walking or jogging - 30 minutes a day / at least 5 days in a week. Isometric exercise (like bull worker) is bad.
• Healthy FOOD is a must. Avoid saturated fats – coconut oil, palm oil, butter, ghee, full cream milk...Avoid junk foods in particular – French fries have palm oil / Pizza has cheese / Indian sweets are made in ghee...
Change to Poly-un-saturated oil – like sun flower oil.
Include Mono-un-saturated oil – Olive oil.
Repeat the test in 6 weeks.
Cholesterol can still be high, in spite of diet and exercise, because it is also manufactured in the liver – and that is determined by heredity.

Some start drugs straight away – even with normal levels, even without problems (Primary Prophylaxis). Your level is high and it is not possible to achieve the target by life style modification alone,..It is better to take the drug straight away / in addition to other measures...

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck