Found cyst on kidney. Blood and pus found in urine. Feeling fatigue and back pain. Prognosis?

Jul 2016

both kidneys appear to be slightly echogenic consistent with medical renal disease. no hydronephrosis or mass is seen, there is an benign-appearing 1-3 cyst along the upper pole of the left kidney. the right kidney measures 13-4 in longitudinal dimension 5-3 cm in AP dimension and 4-8 cm in transverse dimension. The left kidney measures 12-8 cm in longitudinal dimension, 6-6 cm in AP dimension and 5-6 cm in transverse dimension. the renal sizes are upper limits of normal. bladder contour appears normal.calcium levels were 15-9 and creatine 4-1..test were in 2005,( 8 years ago) now have constant blood and puss in urine, edema and fatigue with weigth loss and back pain,and have not been on any treatments.
scheduled for ultrasound in a couple of day
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later

Based on the facts that you have posted, it appears that you have chronic Renal parenchymal disease.
You have got your renal function test done in 2005. , the serum creatinine that time being 4.1, It is bound to be high now.

Please get following investigation done to assess the kidney function now.

1) Haemogram with E.S.R.
2) Renal function Tests( Blood Urea and Serum creatinine).
3) Routine Urine Test.
4) Ultrasound Scanning to know the paranchymal thickness of the both the Kidneys.

Please do consult qualified Nephrologist with reports of these tests. Nature of the further treatment will depend upon the findings of these tests.

Looking at the present scenario you will need to undergo Hemodialysis.
Hope I have answered your query.

Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions, I shall be happy to help you.

Thanks with Regards.

Follow-up: Found cyst on kidney. Blood and pus found in urine. Feeling fatigue and back pain. Prognosis? 19 hours later
could it be possible that the cysts hasnt grown since then and that my kidneys have cleared up some, i no im grasping at straws since i now have edema and blood and puss in urine, but just a question. Do you think the utlrasound will tell them what they need to know? and why are my kidneys larger than normal
and please tell me what "both kidneys appear to be slightly echogenic consistent with medical renal disease" means and also "both kidneys are in upper limits of normal in size with mild diffuse cortical increased echogenicity consistent with medical renal disease. What if the ultrasound dosen't show anything and kidney blood test are normal will that mean that my kidneys healed themselves or is this an progressive desease
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 4 hours later

I can understand your anxiety. Ultrasound Scanning reveal the present status of your kidneys. Since you have oedema now along with a raised serum creatinine level, it indicates that you have a renal disease. Further the echogenic consistency is also consistent with damage to renal parenchyma disease.

Yes, the ultrasound finding and raised serum creatinine results needs to be evaluated and your doctors will know about it. You may need the set of test as I mentioned earlier.

Normally renal tissue do not regenerate once it gets damaged. Therefore we are probably looking at a progressive disease.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Thanks with Regards.