Ask a Urologist   »  

Found bumps on penis. Should I be worried for STD?

Hello, I am trying to identify these bumps on my penis, I'm not really sure what it is. But I am worried that it is an STD. I have the images. They do not itch nor burn.
Posted Sat, 26 Jan 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 5 hours later
Hi, thanks for using health care magic

The most common stds are herpes, trichomonas, chlamydia, gonorrhoea, syphilis and HIV.
Herpes would present with initial redness and discomfort in the area which would be followed by painful lesions that look like small water bumps. These water bumps would then burst to form small painful ulcers. In the absence of any pain, the lesions are unlikely to be herpetic.

Chlamydia and gonorrhoea are normally associated together though some persons may have them separately. They would be associated with burning on urination, a discharge, pain and swelling of the scrotum. About 50 % of men who have been found to have chlamydia , do not have any symptoms. These conditions do not typically present with the rash that you have.

Trichomoniasis can be associated with no symptoms or with problems such as discharge, burning on urination and pain.
Syphilis is also not associated with this presentation.
HIV does not normally present with signs in the genital tract and is normally found when a doctor is assessing for a poor immune system or unexplained repeated infections.

The rash is unlikely to be due to any of the above STD. Rashes can sometimes result for a reaction to any ointment, soap, cream or detergent used for your clothes. In some cases it may be related to a fungal infection.
You can consider monitoring it for a few days to determine if it will go on its own.If it does not or worsens, then you need to think about any changes you may have made in any of the above that could cause the rash.
You may also want to consider purchasing a mild over the counter mild topical steroid and apply it to the area for no more than 5 to 7 days.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Found bumps on penis. Should I be worried for STD? 16 minutes later
Could it be hpv, genital warts?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 12 hours later
Hi, no genital warts do not appear like that. They would appear like flesh like lesions that may be attached by stalk though some persons may have a variation of this.

It is understandable to be concerned, if it would ease your mind, you can visit your doctor for STD screening.

Feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Found bumps on penis. Should I be worried for STD? 1 hour later
I added another photo.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 32 hours later
Hi, sorry about the delay in answering

It does not have the typical appearance of any STD. Warts would normally have a little stalk attaching it to the base, but as stated earlier , in rare cases there are variations.
It is unlikely to be any of the others because they are associated with other symptoms.

I know some persons do not like to do STD testing but it is always best to know your status for these conditions.

Again, you can consider the use of a mild topical cream if you do not want to do any testing at this time.

Feel free to ask any additional questions