Found blood in urine. Urine analysis done. What are the findings?

Jul 2016

I have UA report with some "abnormal" findings. The last few years I've been told ( during DOT physical for med card ) that I have small amounts of blood in my urine.
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later

Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have been taking Warfarin and aspirin for DVT/PE in 2005/2006.

Your routine Urine analysis that you have posted shows presence of R.B.C (16-30) on microscopic examination. (Microscopic Hematuria)

This is most likely to be due to drugs warfarin and aspirin; these drugs are prescribed as blood thinners and so known to have side effects of slight bleeding disorder.

As regards presence of WBC it is part of the process of inflammation and defense mechanism of the body and signify sub clinical UTI. This can be cured by antibiotics for couple of days.

Hope I have answered your query.

Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions, I shall be happy to help you.

Thanks with Regards.
Follow-up: Found blood in urine. Urine analysis done. What are the findings? 7 hours later
In the time frame including 2010 and 2011 I had 2-3 instances which when described to a doctor where thought to be " ... I was passing a kidney stone.."

I never had any testing done to determine what the actual cause of the issue was as it stopped occurring in late 2011.

As a precaution I did stop the use of an all natural salt I'd begun using in recent years.

At that same time in late 2011 I was prescribed an antibiotic for the concern that was described as "...a few white blood cells in my urine." Shortly after the time I was taking the antibiotic I began to see visible blood in my urine and an elevated INR of 5.9. I was not aware / nor told about the interaction between Warfarin and the Antibiotic by the prescribing doctor. I did not have any follow up testing done with regard to the UTI or visible blood in my urine. The visible ( thought to be blood in my urine ) stopped immediately when I stopped taking the Warfarin for a short time to get my INR back in therapeutic ranges. Having finished the antibiotic I simply monitored my INR and adjusted my Warfarin until my INR came back into therapeutic range. And went on with life.

Noticing the differences in my UT behavior over recent years - It seems reasonable I might have had a UTI and possible issue with Kidney stones in late 2010 to 2011. I have since been able to establish I have an apparent sensitivity to drinks with citric acid. That is to say that if I consume large amounts of powdered drink mixes containing citric acid I notice a change UT. When consumed they seem to create a slight sensation during passing of Urine and an increased frequency in desire urinate. I would not describe it as urgent or painful. Rather a feeling of relief or that it felt good after urination. Kinda like scratching an itch.

The R.B.C. began immediately after beginning Warfarin in 2005/2006.
I'm not concerned today about the R.B.C. ( 11-30 ) as they are likely associated with the Warfarin / Aspirin as you have stated. What I am curious about is the apparent persistence or occurrence / reoccurrence of the W.B.C.

Would my current W.B.C. present as a UTI with a AZO type self test. Would an AZO type test be a reasonable follow up test to determine if in fact the UTI was cleared up after a round of antibiotics? Could any of this be related to an abased tooth I've had for several years now?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 17 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.W.B.C in microscopic examination of urine can be monitored by doing urine tests in laboratory only else you can get urine culture done at regular intervals to rule out infection as you do get WBC in microscopic findings without bacterial infection

I do not have any knowledge about efficacy of AZO test that you have mentioned.

As regards RBC in urine, you can discuss the continence of Warfarin for DVT with your treating physician.

Thanks and Regards.