Found blood in urine. Having kidney stone problem possibly a bladder stone. Enlarged prostrate and no pain. Treatment?

Hi, my 63 year old boyfriend just told me he peed blood for a second or so then the stream went clear? he does have a kidney stone and possibly a bladder stone, I have heard conflicting terms. I also know he has enlarged prostrate. He has no pain
Posted Sat, 7 Sep 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Prostate, bladder and maybe kidney stones

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

The two main possibilities are either from the bladder or the prostate. In case of kidney stones, the urine is generally colored with blood, depending on the intensity through out the stream of urine. It is possible, but very less unlikely in this case.
Evaluation of this blood in the urine (hematuria) to know whether it is initial, total or late hematuria is very important.

A prostate specific antigen measurement (PSA), prostate ultrasound, urinalysis and and an abdominal ultrasound to ascertain the state of kidneys for stones for a beginning are appropriate. Other rare causes like urinary tract infections should not be forgotten in the evaluation process.

I suggest he books an appointment with a urologist. Thanks and kind regards.

Bain LE, MD.
Follow-up: Found blood in urine. Having kidney stone problem possibly a bladder stone. Enlarged prostrate and no pain. Treatment? 10 minutes later
He has had the CT scan and this is how the stones and enlarged prostate was found as he had blood in the urine on the 1st pee in the morning just before the 1st of the year. When we got together in late XXXXXXX 2013 and he could not get an erection, he went to the V.A and this is when the Ct scan was done. The clinic there told him he had the stones and they would pass on their own, we are thinking this maybe what happened. I will let you know what the urine looks like on his next bathroom visit. I have told him he needs to call the V.A on Monday. He tells me he feels fine and is not in pain.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Observe urine keenly and update.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the update,

I suggest you observe really pretty well and closely the urine. Kidney stones less than 6mm in size pass through the urine very easily needing no interventions. Persistence of the bloody urine would for sure need an in depth evaluation.

Waiting for your update with regards to his urine status., Kind regards as I wish you and him the best of health.

kind regards,

Bain LE, MD.