Found a small hypodense area in the lower pole of kidney. Any ideas?

Hi, my 15 yr old daughter had a CT w/contrast of her abs. They accidently found a small hypodense area in the lower pole of her right kidney. Doesn't correspond with a cyst. Thought maybe she had a kidney infection & the radiologist asked to please corralate clinically. Kidney infection was ruled out. Labs are normal. Could this possibly be a shadow of nothing? She is to be scheduled for a MRI but the wait is overwhelming. Any ideas?
Posted Tue, 9 Oct 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later

At her age I won't be much concerned.Such incidental hypodense areas which are not enhancing on contrast are unlikely to be something very serious.

The major concern , though less likely at her age is cancer.But that would have enhanced on contrast.

I won't expect much additional information from MRI.But you can get it done.

I think you can repeat a MRI or sonography after three months to see how this lesion shows interval changes.If its stable then get it done once again after next three month.And if it is stable then no need to worry.I am not suggesting CT scan though ideal, because of radiation.

At any point if the lesion shows increase in size significantly then biopsy has to be done.

But as I mentioned earlier I don't expect it to be anything extremely serious.

Hope this answers your question.Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.